Tuesday, April 8, 2014

The beginning...

My story starts about 12 years ago.  I was turned on to ebay by a co-worker.  I started selling stuff from around the house and graduated to thrift store and yard sale finds.  I floated in and out of ebay for the next 9 years.  If I needed some extra cash, I would start selling.  It wasn't until 2012 that I decided to really make a hard push at it.

I spent 2012 really learning the whole ebay process.  I kept around 100 items in my store, and never really went too far beyond that.  I had decided to sell in a niche category, and really wanted to learn the products there before branching out.  I also wanted to learn what worked or didn't work with listings and searches in ebay.

In 2013 I decided it was time to make a push and really grow my inventory.  My goal was 500 listings.  It took me a few months to get there, but I finally made in around the middle of July.  I spent the next 6 months really just maintaining my levels.  In January of 2014, I decided to push hard and get over 1,000 listings.  I finally got there in March of 2014.

So what was the progression with sales like while I was growing?  Well, it was pretty good actually.  When I was around 100 listings, my monthly average was around $800.  When I got to the 500 level, my average went to about $4,000 a month.  Now that I am over 1,000 it will be interesting to see if that $4,000 doubles to $8,000.  I have a feeling it will as March was nearly $9,000!  Being consistent at $8,000 is my goal.  Once I see a couple months at the $8,000 level, my new goal will be to once again double my inventory to 2,000 items and shoot for $20,000 a month.  Is it possible?  Sure, but the question is can I sustain it.

You see, I do this part time.  I work a full time job during the week.  So far at 1,000 listings I am able to keep up with it and not spend every spare moment working my ebay business.  How much further I can go before that happens remains to be seen.  One thing is for sure, it will be a fun journey!


5 comments:

  1. Wow, I am very impressed. I have been a serious seller for several years and am just now getting motivated to increase my listings to well above my 500 mark, at whick I clear at least 2k per month. Are you going to put a side button on your blog where we can link to your store? I would enjoy seeing how the pro does it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol...Not sure. I don't really know how to use this blogger site yet, so maybe after I figure it out I can get it linked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1,000 listings?!? Oh my word! ...I don't know how you do it, but I assume you have multiples of a few items? If not, way to go with being organized and having a system down.

    I'm going to add you to my feed so I can check back for updates.

    - Yolanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you!! I'm impressed. I do this very part time as I have another business and 3 kids. I really want to ramp up my game this year too..my goal is to transition to working from home in the next couple of years. I look forward to following your journey.

    Found you through Ebay Scavengers!

    Margaret @ Live Like No One Else

    ReplyDelete