Wednesday, May 28, 2014

One size fits all?

In my time selling I have tried many different methods to try and increase my sales.  I have done cheap .99 cent auctions, I have done sales and I have tried all of the different combinations of return time frames, free shipping, Global Shipping Program and automated returns.  I have also spent a lot of time studying other sellers to see what they are doing.  I felt there had to be a system that would get you the highest percentage of sales.  What I found did sort of confuse me.  Let me explain.

One would think that if you had a hot selling item, priced it in the middle of the pack based on sold prices and had 100% feedback and everything else with your account in pristine shape, you would sell that item rather quickly.  This is not always the case.  One has to wonder what causes one seller to get great sales while another with like items does not.  I have yet to find the reason for this.  Let me give you an example.

One seller I know of sells men's shirts.  Some are high end, some are mall brands.  Most are middle of the road brands.  He takes one picture of each shirt.  His description has no measurements and no description.  According to best practices, he should not have a lot of sales.  Yet he not only consistently sells shirts every day, he gets top dollar for them.  I have studied his listing habits and tried for one month to recreate it.  Yet my sales never even got close to his.  Not in price and not in volume.  So one has to wonder how he can sell like he does?

I cannot explain this phenomenon, and I know of other sellers who are very similar to him.  I do know that volume is a key in getting more sales.  I do know that free shipping and 30 day returns also get more sales.  But the notion that you need 12 pictures and a detailed description appears to be complete bunk.  If those were key factors in determining sales, then this seller and others like him would not have the volume and prices that they currently enjoy.

My point in all of this is to find what works for you.  Experiment and come up with a system that maximizes your sales.  Don't rely on what others claim works.  Use what works for you.  Find your system and stick to it.  I would still recommend using ebay's best practices, but try bending them a bit and see if you can find a system that will work for your particular situation and product.

When testing, only make one change per month.  You want to quantify your results, and making too many changes at once will give you some false data and you will not know the trigger that got the increase in sales.  Write down results and compare month to month so you can see trends.  It's these trends that can swing your sales into a much better position if you can recognize them.

4 comments:

  1. It drives me crazy when other sellers can sell an item with one photo and it's usually blurry or doesn't even enlarge! I always add as many photos as I can for my items and that takes time. Once in a while I have a little fun. For example, if I have a doll that is articulated, I'll photograph it in different poses and mine will usually sell faster and for a higher price than similar dolls that are photographed just laying flat. Whatever works! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wondered the same thing and tried recreating what other sellers who have great sales were doing. It never worked for me so I gave up. I figured it'd be best for me to do what I think works for me. I also noticed that it isn't necessary to have many pics to make a sale. However, I take as many pictures I think necessary to protect myself against INAD cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if you only sell one kind of item that you develop a following of sorts. You become the go-to shirt guy, or DVD guy, or whatever. However I like to sell anything and everything. Much more interesting, and easier to find inventory.

    ReplyDelete